H-CAL POLY

Nov 3, 2013 10:11 PM by Lindsay MacLeod, KSBY News

10 Cal Poly students temporarily without housing after dorm room fire

Ten Cal Poly students are temporarily without housing after a mattress caught on fire in a Cal Poly dorm bedroom.

It happened around 4 p.m. Sunday at Sequoia Hall, which is one of the red bricks.

A Cal Poly spokesperson says they believe a mattress caught on fire because of an illegal hot plate. The fire was put out with fire extinguishers.

Cal Poly officials say the room where the fire started isn't safe to live in, and won't be for at least the remainder of the quarter.

Three other rooms were also impacted. The electricity to those rooms has been shut off, so the school is working to arrange new housing for everyone impacted.

Housing, custodial, and maintenance staff are still at the scene cleaning smoke and water damage.

No injuries were reported.

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4