National News

Oct 30, 2013 5:33 PM by NBC News

911 calls released in South Carolina murder-suicide

A South Carolina man suspected of killing his girlfriend, her parents and two of her nephews before shooting himself was locked in a custody battle and facing up to 25 years on a burglary charge, officials said Wednesday.

Bryan Sweatt, 27, who had an extensive criminal record, was out on bond and was supposed to appear in court on Monday morning, but he never showed, authorities said.

They next time they heard from him was Tuesday when he dialed 911.

"I'm just stressed out and I'm about to take my life," Sweatt told the dispatcher in an eerily calm voice.

Authorities said Sweatt went to the Greenwood County home of his girlfriend Chandra Fields' parents and hid out for several hours, waiting with a large caliber handgun for people to come home.Police believe that he executed Fields, 26; her parents Ronald Fields, 51, and Melissa Fields, 49; and her sister's sons, ages 11 and 9 - although he let four other children, including his own 7-month-old daughter, leave.

Officers were summoned to the home by Sweatt when he dialed 911 about 5:30 p.m.

"I need an officer at 2007 Callison Highway," he told the police dispatcher, with the sound of a distraught woman pleading with him in the background.

Asked by the dispatcher if he had a weapon, he answered "yes" and said it was a .44 caliber.

The woman could be heard crying and he told her, "Get in there." The call then disconnected as the dispatcher asked "What's going on?"

Police were on their way when a second 911 call came in, this time from a next-door neighbor.

"I just got four kids at my door that says someone just killed their mama," the caller said.

Coached by the dispatcher, the neighbor asked one of the children to describe what they saw.

"[Bryan] had a gun with him," a child said, going on to explain that she saw Sweatt put her mother in the back of the dining room and then heard a shot.

Police arrived and attempted to make contact with Sweatt. At about 7:30 p.m., the SWAT team entered the home and what they found will haunt them forever, said Sheriff Tony Davis.

Read more:



Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you!

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4