H-SAN LUIS OBISPO

Aug 8, 2013 3:19 PM by Cameron Polom, KSBY News

Alleged fake audiologist facing more allegations of fraud

In July 2012, KSBY News first told you about a man advertising and acting as an audiologist.

A year later, police have issued another search warrant to Aaron Marquis' workplace.

In August 2012, Marquis and his wife were arraigned in San Luis Obispo Superior Court on multiple felony counts. According to a police search warrant obtained by KSBY, in July 2012, Marquis was under investigation for falsely advertising himself as an audiologist. The warrant also said he was charging patients under false pretenses. While Marquis has already been charged and pleaded not guilty, he is still being allowed to do business.

KSBY news left a message for Deputy Attorney General Ashley Harland at the State Attorney General's Office Wednesday, but, so far, they have not called back. And it didn't stop there. After avoiding our crew last time at Advanced Hearing Aid Center for comment, Reporter Cameron Polom paid Mr. Marquis a visit at his home and ask him a few questions.

On Tuesday, around 10 police investigators served a warrant to obtain financial records and other documents that could be used as evidence in this now separate case against Marquis and his wife. Some customers were turned away while police conducted the search. When asked if they were under the impression that Marquis was an audiologist, one potential customer replied, "Oh, yes, by all means. It said that all over his letterhead and everything."

According to the latest search warrant, Marquis is accused of frauding at least five additional people between the ages of 65 and 79. The search warrant says Marquis would administer a hearing test to those individuals and recommend the use of a hearing aid. However, before the patients decided whether or not to buy one, Marquis, without their knowledge, had already filed a claim with their insurance companies for procedures he hadn't done, with some ranging as high as $19,000. Victims only discovered the alleged fraud after receiving an explanation of benefits from their insurance companies.

When KSBY News tried to reach Marquis at his office, we were told he was not in. We also reached out to his attorney for comments on the latest allegation, but again, received no call back, so Polom decided to take a trip to his home in Atascadero.

"This is Cameron Polom from KSBY News hoping that he could answer a couple questions regarding allegations of fraud." The woman who answered on the intercom asked Polom to contact their attorney. Polom continued, "Does he have anything to say to the people who say he stole money from them through their insurance companies?" The woman replied, "Leave us alone," and then hung up.

According to the search warrant, Marquis and his wife could face charges of crimes against elder or dependent adults, grand theft, obtaining money under false pretense and insurance fraud. These are additional charges from the grand theft and fraud charges he was arraigned for in August 2012.

Marquis's next court appearance for the original charges is Aug. 26 at San Luis Obispo Superior Court.

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4