Sep 6, 2013 5:43 PM by NBC News
(WDSU) Louisiana's St. Bernard parish is flushing its water system after health officials confirmed a 4-year old boy died from a rare brain-eating amoeba.
"All of our tests came back negative," said St. Bernard Parish President David Peralta. "We have ample chlorine in the water. This parasite does not survive in chlorinated water," Peralta said.
Still, parents at a little league practice in the parish Thursday were concerned.
"I do have a lot of worries, but sometimes it's something that can't be helped. That happens," said parent Jean Peterson.
Peralta said the child who died is not from St. Bernard but was visiting a home in the Violet area about five weeks ago when he fell ill. Health Officials believe the child may have gotten the parasite, known as the Naegleria fowleri amoeba, after a day of playing outside.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
45 minutes ago