Posted: Jan 8, 2013 9:07 AM by Associated Press
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Boy Scouts of America may release two decades of sex abuse files after California's Supreme Court refused a bid to keep them confidential.
The Los Angeles Times says the court last week rejected an appeal to stay release of files from 1991 and later that contain allegations of molestation by Scout leaders.
A Santa Barbara County court ruled last year that the files must be turned over to attorneys representing a former Scout who claims a leader molested him in 2007.
Scout spokesman Deron Smith says the organization will comply with the court order but the files won't be made public unless they're entered as evidence in the case.
Decades of earlier files were made public last fall by order of Oregon's Supreme Court.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties