Posted: Feb 12, 2013 9:50 PM by Katie Ferber (KO)
Updated: Feb 13, 2013 7:46 PM
Dozens of Cal Poly students are displaced tonight after condos near campus were condemned over safety violations.
San Luis Obispo fire inspectors say lofts at the Pine Creek apartments on Foothill Boulevard originally approved for storage were converted into bedrooms.
They say water heaters and furnaces stored in the lofts put people at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, asphyxiation, or fire.
Cal Poly student Haley Burns says she's gotten sick from sleeping in the loft.
"I'd wake up really sick and nauseous my mom would just tell me the water heater's in your closet and you're sleeping in a really hot room and that's what's making you sick, and I just thought it was because I would get so hot at night, and be up there and it was so stuffy but actually the fact that I wasn't getting oxygen," Burns said.
Some other violations included not having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Under housing laws, the landlord is financially responsible for the violations. The landlord also has to pay for temporary housing or relocation costs.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties