Posted: Nov 15, 2012 4:39 PM by Associated Press
CHICO, Calif. (AP) - Chico State University is suspending all Greek activities after a student died of alcohol overdose.
The Chico Enterprise-Record (http://bit.ly/XKiWDf ) reports that President Paul Zingg said Thursday that fraternity and sororities will be barred from recruiting students or having social events until the spring semester.
Butte County officials say student Mason Sumnicht died Thursday of an alcohol overdose.
The campus newspaper The Orion reports that Sumnicht was pledging the fraternity Sigma Pi(backslash).
In addition to the young man's death, Zingg says recently there have been other problems involving fraternities and sororities, including allegations of hazing, sexual assaults and drinking with potential new members.
Zingg says students don't get a "free pass" for allowing a brother to drink 21 shots on his 21st birthday and "pass out in his vomit."
Information from: Chico Enterprise-Record, http://www.chicoer.com
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties