Apr 25, 2013 6:32 AM by ASSOCIATED PRESS
BEIJING (AP) - An official says that no buildings constructed after a powerful earthquake struck southwest China in 2008 collapsed during last week's quake in the same province.
Poor designs and shoddy construction were blamed for the collapse of many schools during the Sichuan earthquake five years ago that left nearly 90,000 people dead or missing. To assuage public anger, central and local government officials promised to enforce tougher safety codes in the reconstruction.
Last week's earthquake, which killed at least 196 people and was not as powerful, struck some of the areas where schools, hospitals and other buildings have been built since the first quake.
An official from Sichuan province's housing department said Thursday that some new buildings suffered cracks and damaged walls, but none collapsed during the recent quake.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com