H-SAN LUIS OBISPO

Feb 13, 2011 10:42 PM by Courtney Meznarich (DL)

Expert teaches do's and dont's of wild mushrooms during educational walk

With the spring-like weather we have been experiencing, plants and flowers are blooming across the Central Coast. However not all of them are harmless.

Various species of mushrooms are also popping up and a local expert says they can be extremely dangerous if eaten. On Sunday more than 30 people gathered at the Dalidet Adobe in San Luis Obispo for a free mushroom education walk.

In addition to learning about how fungi help other plant species, attendees also learned there is really no way to know for sure if a wild mushroom is safe to eat.

"You should never eat a mushroom if you just think it is what it is, you should know what it is, and we actually try and steer people away from eating mushrooms," said Dennis Sheridan, a mushroom expert.

The event is now in its sixth year.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4