_Continuous News

Nov 11, 2010 5:47 PM by Ariel Wesler

Firefighters say house had working smoke detector

The Santa Maria Fire Department says the house badly damaged in Wednesday's fire had a working smoke detector. Battalion Chief Dan Orr says it alerted the mother, who was downstairs cooking, that there was something wrong upstairs.

Santa Maria fire crews have not released the cause of the deadly fire that killed four-year-old Juan Garcia. Rescuers found his five-year-old brother, Jesus, hiding in the downstairs bathroom and were able to pull him out safely.

The fire started around 3:00 p.m. Wednesday at 812 Marcia Way. Twelve people lived in the house, eight of them were children. Investigators believe the fire started on the second story of the home.

Fire crews say is was the first fatal house fire in Santa Maria in about a decade.

Watch KSBY News tonight at 5 and 6 for the latest information.

»Comments

»Topics in this article

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4