Fun facts about dogs
Posted: Jul 15, 2013 1:43 PM by Atascadero Pet Hospital & Emergency Center
Updated: Jul 19, 2013 11:29 AM
- Dogs only sweat from the bottoms of their feet, the only way they can discharge heat is by panting.
- Dogs have about 100 different facial expressions, most of them made with the ears.
- Dogs have about 10 vocal sounds.
- Dogs do not have an appendix.
- There are more than 350 different breeds of dogs worldwide.
- Dalmatians are born spotless: at first pure white, their spots develop as they age.
- Contrary to popular belief, dogs aren't color blind; they can see shades of blue, yellow, green and gray. The color red registers on a grayscale in a dog's vision.
- Most domestic dogs are capable of reaching speeds up to about nineteen miles per hour when running at full speed.
- Using their swiveling ears like radar dishes, experiments have shown that dogs can locate the source of a sound in 6/100ths of a second.
- Domesticated for more than 10,000 years, the dog was one of the first animals domesticated by humans.