Sep 17, 2010 7:54 PM by Danielle Lerner
Some scary moments for a maintenance worker in Oceano after two discarded bottles explode.
It happened around 12:15 p.m. at the Rancho Del Arroyo Mobile Home Park.
That is located in the 2700 block of Cienaga Street.
Investigators believe the bottles were used to cook meth and that is what made them so volatile.
It all started when the maintenance man at the mobile home park noticed three plastic bottles on the ground.
He picked them up, put them in the back of his cart and as he was driving away one of the bottles exploded.
A few minutes later as he was calling 911, another bottle exploded and some of the contents inside splashed onto him.
Fire crews and a hazmat team washed him down and closed off the area.
They were not taking any chances with their own safety.
"Any time people manufacture with hazardous chemicals and materials, you run the risk of injury," said Rob Bryn, a spokesperson for the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department. "They've blown up houses, they've blown up buildings, this stuff is very volatile."
The maintenance worker is expected to be alright, deputies say there were no visible signs of injuries.
Now investigators are trying to figure out where those bottles came from, and that could be a difficult task.
They say someone driving by could have thrown them out the window, someone from a nearby park could have thrown them over the fence, so any help from the public could really benefit investigators at this point.
Deputies say plastic bottles used to manufacture meth often have a lithium battery or something similar inside.
If you happen to come across one, leave it alone and call 911.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
7 hours ago