Local News

Jan 13, 2014 7:42 AM by Lindsay MacLeod, KSBY News

Man starts fire in Oceano home while using blow torch for plumbing repairs

The Five Cities Fire Authority says an Oceano homeowner caused a fire in his home Saturday morning after using a blow torch during plumbing repairs.

Firefighters were called out to the house on the 2400 block of Mona Lei Court, just north of The Pike, around 8:30 a.m. Saturday.

Firefighters found smoke coming out of the roof and attic areas above the garage of the home. A man who lived in the home told firefighters he had been trying to fix pipes inside a wall, and he had been using a torch. He told firefighters he had finished doing the repairs, and then he noticed heavy smoke accumulating. He asked a friend to call the fire department.

Firefighters climbed up a ladder into the space above the garage. In the attic, they found heavy smoke, which made it difficult to see. They turned off electric and gas services to make sure everyone was safe. Firefighters then cut portions of the wall away in the area of the repair to try to find the origin of the fire.

Firefighters used low flow, low pressure water supply to put the fire out and decrease water damage to the home.

Firefighters also removed debris from the attic to prevent the fire from re-igniting.

Burned drywall, insulation, and melted ventilation pipes were taken out of the garage.

A heavy-duty exhaust fan was used to get the smoke out of the attic above the house and garage.

The San Luis Obispo County Building Inspector's office was notified about the incident so they can follow up with the man who lives in the home.

No injuries were reported.

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4