Posted: Jul 29, 2012 11:47 PM by Bill Halter
Monday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Swimming - Qualifying Heats
Men's Beach Volleyball - Gibb/Rosenthal (U.S.) vs. Fijalek/Prudel (Poland) (LIVE)
Women's Volleyball - U.S. vs. Brazil (LIVE)
Women's Water Polo - U.S. vs. Hungary (LIVE)
Canoeing - Whitewater Qualifying Heats
Rowing - Qualifying Heats
· Michael Phelps swims in the qualifying rounds of the 200 butterfly, an event he has won at the past two Games, including in Beijing when his goggles filled with water and he swam blind, relying on stroke count to get through the race. Plus, Phelps' training partner Allison Schmitt and 17-year-old phenom Missy Franklin have their qualifying swims in the 200 freestyle, an event in which both should contend for a medal.
· LIVE coverage of the U.S. women's volleyball team vs. Brazil. Led by Hugh McCutcheon, who coached the U.S. men to the Olympic title in 2008, the American women are favored to win their first Olympic gold.
LIVE coverage of the U.S. women's water polo team vs. Hungary. The Americans have earned a medal at each of the three Olympics since women's water polo made its Olympic debut in 2000, but have never won gold. They look to have their strongest team yet in London.
· Plus, LIVE coverage of beach volleyball, always one of the most electric sports of the Games, from Horse Guards Parade in the heart of ceremonial London. Also, the third day of the rowing competition from prestigious Eton Dorney, and qualifying in whitewater canoeing.
8 p.m. - Midnight (ET/PT)
Swimming - Gold Medal Finals
Men's 200M Freestyle
Men's 100M Backstroke
Women's 100M Backstroke
Women's 100M Breaststroke
Men's Gymnastics - Team Gold Medal Final
Men's Diving - Synchronized Platform Gold Medal Final
Women's Beach Volleyball - May-Treanor/Walsh (U.S.) vs. Slukova/Kolocova (Czech Republic)
- In what should be one of the best races of the Games, reigning world champion Ryan Lochte takes on a stacked international field in the 200m freestyle. Meanwhile, 17-year-old Colorado phenom Missy Franklin appears in her first individual final, among the favorites in the 100m backstroke. In the 100m breaststroke, reigning world champion Rebecca Soni tackles the first leg of a breaststroke sweep no woman has accomplished in 16 years. And Matt Grevers aims to win his fifth straight U.S. gold in the 100m backstroke, following the retirement of Athens and Beijing champion Aaron Peirsol.
· In gymnastics, the U.S. men will contend for their third consecutive medal in the team competition. Their prospects look strong with a deep group led by an unlikely pair of newcomers: Bronx native John Orozco and Cuban-born Danell Leyva.
· Beijing veteran David Boudia and new partner Nick McCrory, a Duke pre-med student whose uncle won swimming silver for Great Britain in 1976, are bidding to win the first U.S. diving medal since the 2000 Sydney Olympics. Great Britain's teen idol Tom Daley and his partner Peter Waterfield are among the other contenders hoping to upset the Chinese.
· Beach volleyball, one of the Games' hottest sports, comes to Horse Guards Parade in the heart of ceremonial London. Just down the road from the Queen's home at BuckinghamPalace, the Queens of the sand, Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings, are eyeing a golden three-peat after sweeping the competition in Athens and Beijing without dropping a set.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties