Oct 7, 2013 8:04 PM by Katherine Worsham, KSBY News
Vandenberg Air Force Base officials say most of the civilian workers at the base returned to work on Monday.
About 75% of Vandenberg's civilian workforce was furloughed last week when lawmakers on Capitol Hill could not come to a budget agreement and the government essentially shut down.
On Saturday, October 5, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said most Department of Defense civilians who were furloughed would be asked to return to work.
Col. Keith Balts, 30th Space Wing Commander, says most services at the base that were closed due to the furlough are back open or partially open.
"Unfortunately the return of our civilians does not necessarily mean we're back to business as usual," he said in a statement. "Without an approved budget, we are limited on how we spend our resources, and depending on how long this budget uncertainty will last, we may have to take additional steps with respect to our personnel or operations here on base."
Col. Balts says the government shutdown is not impacting the health, safety or security of people on the base, or the launch schedule.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
13 hours ago