Dec 13, 2013 5:32 PM by ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles County prosecutors won't retry a Los Angeles man who spent 34 years behind bars before his murder conviction was overturned.
Authorities told a judge on Friday they were dropping the case against 53-year-old Kash Register.
Register told reporters he had strong faith that his innocence eventually would be revealed.
Register was convicted of shooting a 78-year-old man in West Los Angeles and was serving 27 years to life.
Last month, a judge overturned his conviction, saying prosecutors used false testimony from an alleged eyewitness.
Among those on hand to congratulate Register was Brian Banks, a former high school football player who spent five years in prison for sexual assault. He was exonerated last year after the alleged victim recanted.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com