National News

Apr 8, 2013 4:14 PM by NBC News

Number of pets accidentally ingesting marijuana spikes in Colorado

(KUSA) Chances are you have heard about the effects of marijuana on humans, but what about dogs? A new study by Colorado State University shows the number of dogs eating marijuana and going to the emergency room has quadrupled since 2005. The research even says two animals died and marijuana was a factor.

Doctors say the real issue is with the edible items. Dogs are eating things like cakes, cookies, brownies and suckers that are all laced with marijuana. Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald with Alameda East Veterinary Hospital says he sees these cases multiple times a week.

"They may be stumbling," Fitzgerald said. "They're wobbly, they might not eat. [They are] sleepy. In a state where marijuana is much more available, we see higher incidents of marijuana intoxication. We have seen, as the number of medical marijuana licenses increased over the years, we saw those numbers of dogs eating the marijuana increased. They seemed to be correlated."

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4