Oct 13, 2010 7:03 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) Oakland city officials are seeking to restrict the activities of a gang they're describing as among the most violent in town.
City Attorney John Russo and Police Chief Anthony Batts on Wednesday announced plans to file an injunction against 42 members of the notorious Nortenos street gang.
Russo says the gang has terrorized central and east Oakland neighborhoods for decades and have been involved in at least 35 shootings this year.
The injunction would prohibit those members from associating with each other in public in a 450 square block-radius, mostly in Oakland's Fruitvale area.
In May, an Alameda County judge granted an injunction against 15 members of the North Side Oakland gang accused of being involved in several murders last year.
Batts says despite some protests from civil rights groups, that injunction has been successful.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com