H-NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Nov 10, 2012 8:54 PM by ASSOCIATED PRESS

Officials say 2 dead, 4 sick from wild mushrooms

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility have died and four others are hospitalized after eating soup with wild mushrooms.

Placer County sheriff's officials told the Sacramento Bee (http://sacb.ee/STLV3S ) that 86-year-old Barbara Lopes and 73-year-old Teresa Olesniewicz - residents of Gold Age Villa, an elderly care home in Loomis - died after eating the soup that had been prepared by a caregiver at the facility.

Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed says the caregiver who prepared the soup was among the six people sickened. The conditions of the four people hospitalized were not immediately known, and their names have not been released.

Reed says after deputies were called to the facility Friday they determined the incident was an accident.

The incident is being investigated by the California Department of Social Services, the agency that licenses senior care facilities.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4