Posted: Sep 7, 2012 10:52 PM by Christina Jensen, KSBY News
A house fire in Atascadero caused $75,000 worth of damage Friday afternoon.
It happened in the 4000 block of Nogales a little past 2:00 p.m.
The Atascadero City Fire Department says when it arrived heavy fire and smoke was coming from the garage with the fire burning through the roof.
The fire also caught two large pine trees on fire, which caused it to spread into nearby vegetation.
Crews say the radiated heat from the garage melted the structures gas meter, which caused a free flow of gas to ignite.
The fire melted through the electrical service drop and placed live electrical wires on the ground.
The gas company had to dig up a portion of the street to access their gas lines so they could stop the leak.
PG&E had to secure the electrical line from the power pole, shutting down power to the fallen electrical line.
It took about an hour to control the fire with 24 personnel.
One firefighter has a twisted ankle and was transported to a hospital. Another firefighter suffered mild heat exhaustion battling the fire.
Fire crews say a battery charger was the cause of the fire.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties