May 12, 2013 5:53 PM by ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON (AP) - Former ambassador Thomas Pickering says he was willing to testify last week to a House panel looking into the attack on the U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya last year -- but that he was blocked from doing so.
Pickering, on NBC's "Meet the Press" today, took issue with a claim from the committee chairman, Republican Darrell Issa (EYE'-suh), who said Pickering "refused to come before our committee."
Sitting next to Issa, Pickering responded, "That is not true." He said in a separate interview that he had asked, through the White House, to appear -- and that he could have answered many of the questions lawmakers raised. Those questions included whether U.S. military forces could have saved Americans if they had dispatched F-16 fighter jets to the consulate.
Pickering and former Joint Chiefs chairman Mike Mullen produced a report critical of security in Benghazi, but Pickering says then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton wasn't to blame.
Meanwhile, there's still a focus on the talking points used by U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice in the days after the attack, when she said it stemmed from a protest over an anti-Islamic video. A series of emails between the State Department and the CIA led to the erroneous description. And Republican Sen. John McCain tells ABC it was a "cover-up." He's again calling for a select committee to investigate.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com