Sep 12, 2013 8:00 AM by Atascadero Pet Hospital
Anticoagulant rodenticides are designed to kill rats, mice, and other rodents by causing internal bleeding after the rodent ingests the poisonous bait. These poisons are thus designed to taste good and be very attractive to rodents.
Dogs and cats can also find this bait very tasty and may ingest it if it is placed in an accessible area around your house or yard.
Signs of poisoning (Toxicosis) in dogs and cats usually appear 3-5 days after they eat the rat/mouse bait.
Toxicosis is characterized by bleeding (from gums, nose, or into body cavities, other sites), pale/white gums, presence of large bruises (easily seen in less hairy areas like the abdominal skin or inside the legs and armpits), decreased appetite, bloody diarrhea, bloody vomiting, breathing difficulties, and lethargy or reluctance to exercise.
Anticoagulant toxicosis ranks among the most commonly reported toxicoses in dogs. Common trade names for these rodenticides include (but are not limited to): D-Con, D-Cease, Anchor Rat and Mouse Bait, Purina Rat Kill Soluble, Assassin Rodenticide Bait, Boot Hill, Hawk and Just One Bite.
Prognosis for recovery is excellent with early treatment.
If you see you're pet eat this toxin, bring him or her to a veterinarian immediately before the clinical signs develop