Posted: Feb 19, 2013 7:04 AM by ASSOCIATED PRESS
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Hand sanitizer sparked by static electricity may have started the fire that burned an 11-year-old girl in her room at Doernbecher Children's Hospital.
Ireland Lane suffered third-degree burns to 18 percent of her body in the Feb. 2 fire in Portland. The father of the Klamath Falls girl was napping in the room at the time and woke up to smother the flames with his body after she ran from the room.
The Oregonian reports (http://bit.ly/YDNFO5 ) Stephen Lane says investigators told him the alcohol-based hand sanitizer is the only thing that could have caught fire. Ireland doesn't remember much, but she had used the sanitizer to wipe down her bedside table. The spark may have come from a static electricity spark in the sheets.
The state fire marshal is investigating.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties