Posted: Jan 22, 2013 6:29 PM by Nikki Ibarra
Updated: Jan 22, 2013 8:39 PM
A sexually violent predator could soon be released as a transient in Santa Barbara County, but not without one more fight.
District Attorney Joyce Dudley will explain to the appellate court in Sacramento on Wednesday why Tibor Karsai should not be released in Santa Barbara County.
Dudley told KSBY Karsai should be sent to another part of the state, possibly San Luis Obispo County. Dudley said Karsai was living in Morro Bay before he committed the crime in Northern California.
Karsai raped a 16 year-old girl in Northern California's Placer County back in 1980.
He served 30 years in prison and is currently in a mental hospital.
"Its always been our position right from the beginning that he wasn't domiciled in Santa Barbara County therefore, he shouldn't be released in Santa Barbara County," said Dudley.
Dudley fears how adequately Karsai would be monitored. "When someone is in a home, in a stable environment, law enforcement can go check on him but if he's a transient, he could be anywhere," said Dudley.
Dudley told KSBY she's not sure whether the appellate court will rule in Santa Barbara County's favor after listening to her arguments. "What we're asking the appellate court to do in Sacramento is to over rule themselves. It's extraordinary and unusual for any appellate court to over themselves," said Dudley.
In March, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department told KSBY the county had been removed as an option for placement of Karsai.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties