Posted: Sep 24, 2013 12:24 PM by Associated Press
Updated: Sep 24, 2013 1:06 PM
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Kenya's security forces aren't showing any signs of closing down their operation at a shopping mall in Nairobi that was taken over by terrorists on Saturday.
Kenya's president, in a televised address to the nation, said today that the terrorists had been defeated, after killing at least 67 civilians and government troops.
But two Kenyan soldiers who had been inside the mall said shortly before the president spoke that while the operation was effectively finished, security forces were still combing the facility and had not definitively cleared all of the rooms inside.
In his televised address, President Uhuru Kenyatta said the victims included 61 civilians whose bodies had been recovered so far, and six security forces. He says several bodies are trapped in the rubble after three floors of the mall collapsed. His office later said a terrorist's body was among those in the debris.
Kenyatta said five other militants were killed by gunfire, and that 11 other suspects have been arrested.
Explosions and gunfire were heard from the mall today, and fresh smoke rose from the building in the afternoon.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties