Apr 14, 2013 3:15 PM by ASSOCIATED PRESS
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The brother of a West Hollywood man hospitalized with bacterial meningitis says he has died.
Brian Shaad said his brother Brett Shaad was removed from life support Saturday evening. He had been treated at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Shaad's case prompted officials in West Hollywood to warn sexually active gay men to beware of the potentially deadly health threat.
Tests were being done to determine if the strain of illness is similar to the one that circulated among gay men in New York City and infected 22 people, resulting in seven fatalities, since 2010
The bacteria could be spread through close and prolonged contact, such as kissing or living in close quarters with an infected person, but not by casual contact.
Symptoms typically develop within days of exposure.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
10 hours ago