Sep 20, 2013 8:24 PM by Cameron Polom, KSBY News

Strict water restrictions added in Cambria

Some drastic changes are in effect right now to deal with the water crisis in one Central Coast community.

Cambria city leaders are the latest to tackle the issue.

It came at a packed Community Services District meeting where frustrations spilled over.

Many people were unhappy with the possibility of the city allowing new homes to be built because that means more water being used, something that's just not in the cards right now.

They also expressed their frustrations with city leaders over what they say is a lack of foresight on how to manage this very critical resource.

"You either start rescinding what you've done regarding the moratorium, or you will find yourselves out of the seats you sit in right now," said Tina Dickason as she addressed city leaders.

No more new building, no more over consumption, or else. That's the message the community of Cambria gave to city leaders Friday.

"It's not going to change. We need to have the water recharged, replenished. It has to come back into the system, otherwise Cambria will die of thirst," said Jeff Walters.

Dickason has spearheaded an effort to make sure city leaders get the message.

"We have pages and pages and pages of signatures that we have been gathering to oppose the Intent to Serve letters," said Dickason.

Cambria leaders were considering lifting a ban and allowing new homes to be built, but many feel, with failing resources that just can't happen.

"The point is, they were talking about lifting it when we're essentially in a stage three water alert, which means people are going to have to go without water shortly," said Walters.

After all the public comment, the CSD decided to keep the moratorium in place, which means no new building allowed.

The board also unanimously voted to stop residents and business from watering their yards and landscapes with drinkable water. They can use non-drinkable, or what's called non-potable water, on their landscapes. They can get non-potable water for free by contacting the CSD office to arrange the service.



Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4