H-CAL POLY

Nov 4, 2013 7:59 PM by Lindsay MacLeod, KSBY News

Students still displaced following dorm room fire

Ten Cal Poly students remain without a home following a fire in a dorm room.

It happened Sunday afternoon in Sequoia Hall.

A Cal Poly spokesperson says they believe a mattress caught on fire because of an illegal hot plate. The fire was put out with fire extinguishers.

"Sequoia Hall is one of our older buildings. It currently does not have a sprinkler system. Our older buildings are all in the process of being upgraded to include sprinkler systems," said PhD. Keith Humprey, the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Cal Poly officials say the room where the fire started is not safe to live in and won't be for at least the remainder of the quarter.

Three other rooms were also impacted because their electricity had to be shut off.

No one was hurt during the fire.

»Comments

PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS

Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4