Nov 23, 2010 9:46 PM by Ariel Wesler

Teen comes to the rescue after accident on train tracks

A local teenager is being haled a hero tonight after helping to rescue another teenager who had fallen onto railroad tracks.

14-year-old Kerry Eddy is in stable condition tonight after undergoing major surgery this afternoon at Cottage Hospital. The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department says Eddy fell from a railroad bridge in Oceano Monday afternoon.

He had been on the tracks with his younger brother and a friend when they saw a train approach. A teenager walking home from school saw him lying on the tracks and stepped in to help.

Kerry Eddy is still in the hospital, but the 14-year-old is alive in part because of his teenage rescuer.

"I see some kid laying down and his head was bleeding and I was like, 'Oh my god! Oh my god! What do I do?" said 14-year-old Evan Jones.

While he panicked at first, Jones acted quickly and moved Eddy's body from the tracks.

"I had him laying up. His back against my chest and I'm just talking to him just making sure he won't pass out or anything because I was almost sure he had a concussion," Jones said.

He says he doesn't usually walk home from school, but on that particular Monday afternoon, he couldn't get a ride.

"Luckily, I did walk because there could have been a chance that kid might not have made it," Jones said.

"Thank you so much for saving my son's life. We would love to meet you," said Ty Eddy, Kerry's father.

The couple just got married Saturday and Eddy and his eight-year old brother were part of the wedding.

"We were on the last day of our honeymoon and we got the phone call," said Eddy's father.

It's still unclear exactly what Eddy, his brother, and a friend were doing near the railroad tracks, but alcohol might have been a factor.

"His little friend, or whatever, said he had been drinking," Jones said.

Just days after celebrating a wedding, prayers are going out to Eddy and his family as they hope to celebrate their son's recovery.

"Just give him a big hug and be there for him as much as I possibly can," said Eddy's father.

Jones says the friend and younger brother didn't know what to do and had not called paramedics until after he arrived.

Eddy is expected to remain at Cottage Hospital for one to two weeks.


»Topics in this article


Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at feedback@ksby.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.

Thank you! KSBY.com

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4