Nov 19, 2012 2:38 PM by KSBY (Staff)
Things to watch out for on the road this Thanksgiving weekend
Thanksgiving weekend is a maximum enforcement period for the CHP, and every available officer throughout the Central Coast will be out in force.
The CHP has provided some safe driving tips for those who will be driving during the upcoming holiday:
- Make sure to have a designated driver if you plan on celebrating with alcohol.
- If you are hosting a party, be sure to have plenty of non-alcoholic drinks available. Have one person dedicated to serving and regulating alcohol. Assist guests who have been drinking in finding an alternate way home.
- Leave early for your party, watch your speed, and don't follow others too closely.
- Make sure that all passengers in the vehicle are wearing a seatbelt.
- Hang up the phone! In 2011, CHP officers issued over 150,000 citations to distracted drivers talking or text messaging on hand-held phones.
- Don't drive when tired. Fatigue can affect your driving as much as alcohol. If you are planning a long trip, rest beforehand, take frequent breaks, and share driving duties.
- Be especially watchful of pedestrians around parked cars, near restaurants, and in residential areas.