Dec 31, 2012 9:44 PM by Bill Halter
The Arroyo Grande girls basketball team winning a CIF championship is the top local sports story of 2012 according to you. After four days of voting on ksby.com the Eagles had more votes than any of the nine other nominees. 40 percent of votes went to Arroyo Grande's 27-6 season that included the first CIF-Southern Section championship in program history.
The Eagles were undefeated against the Pac-7 and breezed through the Division 3AAA playoffs. Arroyo Grande won two games in the state tournament before losing in the quarterfinals. Heather Madrigal and Lyndsey Wolf were named co-players of the year in Division 3AAA. Madrigal and Wolf were two of seven seniors on the team.
Here is how the rest of the voting went:
2. Cal Poly basketball winning at 11th ranked UCLA (17%)
3. Lompoc football winning 32 straight games (9%)
4. Lance Easley's infamous call on Monday Night Football (9%)
5. Kristina Santiago's senior season at Cal Poly (7%)
6. Cal Poly football winning a Big Sky title (6%)
7. Cal Poly men's soccer sweeping UCSB (5%)
8. Ryan McNeil and Mitch Haniger taken in MLB draft (3%)
9. Duane Solomon finishing 4th in 800m at Olympics (3%)
10. Mission Prep girls basketball winning a CIF title (1%)
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com