Posted: Jan 24, 2012 6:00 PM by Nikki Ibarra
Updated: Jan 25, 2012 8:16 AM
It's colorless, odorless, and tasteless. You don't know it's there, but it can hurt you the same way it harmed Nikkie Sedaghat.
"They told my mother, she had a two percent chance of living. She's not going to wake up for 6 months to a year, and she might not be the same person," said Sedaghat, a student at UCSB.
It all happened Thanksgiving break of last year. Nikkie was cold and asked her mom to turn on the heater in the guesthouse. She thought she was coming down with a cold, so she took some medicine.
"I think it was the cold medicine, but it was really the carbon monoxide that was slowly knocking me out," said Sedaghat.
The next morning, Nikkie didn't wake up, and she was rushed to the hospital. "They induced a coma and I was in a coma for 35 days," she said.
Nikkie finally woke up on December 29th, 2010.
She fought all odds, but it wasn't an easy fight. "My brain wasn't working. It's like I had gone back to 5th grade again," she noted.
Nikkie was in therapy until the day before she returned to UCSB last fall.
She's now on a mission to educate others. She spends her free time going door to door in Isla Vista, passing out carbon monoxide alarms to homes that don't have them.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at email@example.com, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties