Posted: May 16, 2013 1:26 AM by Kathrene Herndon, KSBY News
Updated: May 17, 2013 12:10 AM
Fire officials say an unattended candle caused a dorm fire at Cal Poly Wednesday night.
The fire broke out at the Corralitos Building at the Poly Canyon Village Housing Complex around 7:48 p.m.
Officials with the San Luis Obispo City Fire Department say the fire started in a first-floor bedroom, and did not spread because of the building's fire sprinklers.
Around 400 people were evacuated from the five-story building.
The fire was under control within 10 minutes of the first 911 call.
The University is providing temporary housing on campus to the first-floor students affected by the fire.
Officials say damage is estimated at more than $25,000.
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties