Posted: Nov 26, 2012 5:40 PM by Cameron Polom, KSBY News
Updated: Nov 27, 2012 5:55 AM
It's known as the silent killer, and it's sneaking into homes on the Central Coast. We're talking about carbon monoxide. It's odorless, tasteless and colorless and according to CAL FIRE, it's showing up more this time of year.
"We're getting into winter, and everybody is turning on their heaters for the first time," says Tina Rose of CAL FIRE. "It's so important that those gas heaters be cleaned and checked."
She says heaters collect dirt and dust all summer long, making them the perfect host for disaster.
That's where they say most of the leaks can happen.
CAL FIRE says the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, and feeling nauseated or faint. In worst case scenarios, it can be deadly.
"It's so important before you put your fireplace into service, your heaters into service, to get them checked out," says Rose. "Like I said it's called the silent, invisible, deadly killer, because that's exactly what happens."
She says it only takes a few minutes to be overexposed.
"You'll just go to sleep and become sicker and sicker, you're not going to wake up."
PLEASE HELP US MODERATE COMMENTS
Offensive or inappropriate comments are subject to removal. To report a comment, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the name of the story and information on the comment.
Thank you! KSBY.com
Get deals up to 80% off here!
Find the lowest gas prices in your area
Submit your photos to KSBY
Check out our calendar of events
Watch Daybreak Web Videos in full
Save with Hot Deals across our counties!
Events across the Central Coast
Follow The CW5 on Facebook.
The KSBY online public file.
What do you think? Leave us your feedback.
KSBY is your official CA Lottery station for San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties