The first thing is to call the police, make a record of what has occurred, make sure that everyone has the pertinent information about who was involved, the time and the location. If someone is injured in the accident, please care for them first before you do anything else. Call 911, make sure that they seek medical care. Once the police arrive, cooperate fully. Make sure that you answer questions completely and to the best of your ability.

Oftentimes in an accident, people have two things that they are interested in: One is their vehicle and the other, that someone in their family or themselves have been injured. We are going to talk about your automobile first.

If you are involved in an accident, whether it is your fault or someone else's fault and you have automobile collision coverage, the insurance adjuster for your own company will call and inquire about your vehicle. You have the right to take that vehicle to any repair station that you choose in the vicinity. Your insurance carrier may make recommendations as to a particular repair shop, but you have the right to pick one of your choosing.

Once you have done that, they will make the repairs less your deductible, whatever your deductible is. If, unfortunately, your automobile is totaled, the insurance carrier will have an obligation to pay you the market value of your car. They will use a computer system called CCC, you will want to use the blue book, and any other photo ads or any other Internet ads that you can find to properly value your car. This is generally a fight, oftentimes insurance carriers will try and settle a claim for a couple thousand dollars less than it's worth. My recommendation is that you look at the ads, you get the prices and you try and get as much for your car as the market would bear.

If someone is injured in your automobile accident, what you must do is make sure that they have proper medical care as quickly as practicable. The question arises, do we use med pay from the automobile insurance or do we use our group coverage policy? Always use your group health insurance policy if you have it available. Use your auto med pay insurance for the deductible or out-of-pocket costs. Lastly and most importantly, follow doctor's recommendations following an accident. I know that this is a difficult time for everyone, but if you follow these simple rules you might be better off in the long run.

If you or your loved one has suffered serious injury or been a victim of fraud, please reach out to one of our San Luis Obispo Injury Attorneys today. You can contact the firm at (800) 941-9930. It is free, and we can provide you with the knowledge you need to take care of you and your family.

Ernst Law Group, ALC
1020 Palm Street

San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Phone: (800) 941-9930

Visit us online