Quantcast

The dangers of xylitol for your pets - KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Area News

The dangers of xylitol for your pets

Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste.

It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure.

The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to recumbancy and seizures.

Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.

Powered by Frankly

© KSBY.com 2018, KSBY.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?