Couple rescued from sinking boat near Montaña de Oro - KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Area News

Couple rescued from sinking boat near Montaña de Oro

Posted: Updated:

Thanks to a fisherman with a sharp eye, crews from U.S. Coast Guard Station Morro Bay and Morro Bay Harbor Patrol rescued a man and woman Monday evening, hours after their boat began taking on water.

Video from the Morro Bay Harbor Patrol shows the rescue:

The two people were rescued this evening off of Sandspit Beach in Montaña de Oro after a fisherman spotted them from shore, clinging to their swamped 16-foot boat.

Freddie Gleason and Victoria Murtheh were in the water for three hours, desperately calling for help. The two had gone fishing at 4:30 a.m. Monday and were out on the water all day before their boat took on so much water they were barely afloat.

A joint operation of the Morro Bay Harbor Patrol and U.S. Coast Guard Station Morro Bay brought the couple safely to shore.

Freddie Gleason and Victoria Murtheh say two large waves completely swamped their boat. The husband and wife became submerged in the cold water, 400 yards from shore.

"The swells were just back-to-back - six feet, seven feet - but they were so close. You hit one, then you're on the next one and that's all it took. And then water came over at eight seconds and that was it. We were done." said Gleason.

Three hours later, a fisherman named John Robinson spotted Gleason and Murtheh from shore and called 911. He recalled what the 911 dispatcher asked him.

"'Are you sure it's a person?' I believe it is. It's something up there. It's standing down and falling down," said Robinson.

U.S. Coast Guard Station Morro Bay, Morro Bay Harbor Patrol, and CAL FIRE SLO deployed to rescue the couple. Once the first boat left the dock, the rescuers were on scene within 15 minutes.

A Coast Guard lifeboat rescued Gleason and Harbor Patrol rescued Murtheh. They were brought back to be treated by emergency medical services.

The victims tried getting help by putting a shirt on a fishing pole and waving it in the air. The couple is OK, suffering from minor symptoms of hypothermia. The two were treated and brought home.

"It's six o'clock and dark and then the fog rolled in and I wasn't sure so I'm just happy you guys are OK," Robinson told the couple after meeting them Monday night.

"Yeah, I appreciate it," Gleason said.

"There was a reason I was there," Robinson said.

Video showing what Robinson saw from shore can be seen in the clip below:

Top Trending Videos

Doppler Radar
Powered by Frankly

© KSBY.com 2018, KSBY.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?