Quantcast

Sheriff: As many as 43 people may be missing as a result of Mont - KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Area News

Sheriff: As many as 43 people may be missing as a result of Montecito mudslides

Posted: Updated:

 UPDATE (7:10 p.m.) - Santa Barbara CHP has updated its list of closed roads:


UPDATE (4:55 p.m.) - With the closure of Highway 101 through the Montecito area, Caltrans is asking drivers who need to get to the San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles areas to use Highway 46 and not Highway 166, as that highway is becoming increasingly congested. 

Anyone in San Luis Obispo County needing to head to Ventura or other portions of Southern California is asked to use I-5. 


UPDATE (4 p.m.) - Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says there are 43 people that may be missing as a result of Tuesday's mudslides in Montecito. He said at a Thursday afternoon press conference, "that doesn't mean they all are missing but we are actively looking at whether they are missing."

A mandatory evacuation zone will go into effect for much of the Montecito area Thursday at 6:00 p.m. after Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said the area is becoming too impacted by traffic, hampering search, rescue and repair crews.


UPDATE (2:30 p.m.) - The Sheriff's Office Thursday afternoon released the names of the 17 people killed in Tuesday morning's flash flood.


UPDATE (1:15 p.m.) - A close friend of one of the people missing following the mudslides in Montecito has confirmed that 73-year-old Peter Fleurat has died. 


UPDATE (7:35 a.m.) - The number of people missing in Montecito was reported incorrectly by officials earlier Thursday morning. 

As of 7:35 a.m., incident managers say eight people are missing. 

Officials had previously said 48 people were missing, however that figure has since been revised. 

Other information remains the same. 


Search and rescue efforts continue in southern Santa Barbara County to find dozens of missing people. 

As of Thursday morning, 48 people are missing after the mudslides in Montecito, according to Amber Anderson of Santa Barbara City Fire. 

The death toll still stands at 17. 

A total of 28 people have been injured. 

Damage assessment teams have found 65 homes destroyed in the mudslides. 

More than 460 homes suffered damage in the storm. 

Eight other structures were lost and 20 were damaged.

There are now nearly 700 first responders on scene helping with recovery efforts. 

The mudslide area covers 30 square miles, according to officials. 

Top Trending Videos

WEATHER
Doppler Radar
Powered by Frankly

© KSBY.com 2018, KSBY.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?