Mud from Montecito mudslide being moved to local beaches - KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Area News

Mud from Montecito mudslide being moved to local beaches

Posted: Updated:

As search and rescue efforts continue, county, city, state, and federal agencies are conducting restoration efforts which involve cleaning out debris and clearing roads.

The Santa Barbara County Flood Control District obtained emergency permits from the U.S Army Corps of Engineers, California Regional Water Quality Control Board, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the California Coastal Commission to truck mud out of Montecito and dump it on local beaches.

The current permits allow up to 300,000 cubic yards of sediment to be placed into the surf zone where the waves are breaking at Goleta Beach and Carpinteria Beach at the end of Ash Avenue.

County officials said Friday night approximately 800 cubic yards had been transported to Goleta Beach and 900 cubic yards had been taken to Carpinteria Salt Marsh.

According to county officials, Santa Barbara County Flood Control personnel are at the sites inspecting each load as they come in.

County officials say they understand the seriousness of this activity and are inspecting loads for unpermitted materials.

The emergency permits do not require testing of the materials but public health officials are testing ocean waters and will speak up if they notice any contamination, the county said in a statement.

Mud cleanup will continue for weeks in order to restore the area to pre-storm conditions as quickly as possible.

Top Trending Videos

Doppler Radar
Powered by Frankly

© KSBY.com 2018, KSBY.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?