Central Coast residents are invited to adopt pets and help "Clear the Shelters" over the weekend.
On Saturday, Sept. 18, the community can join Santa Barbara County animal shelters for the event. Its goal is to find a home for every homeless animal across the county.
The participating shelters have partnered with NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations for the Clear the Shelters event. The event will air on KSBY at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Many shelters are offering fee-waived adoptions through the day. The one-day event will run through 4 p.m. on Saturday.
Those interested in pet adoption can choose from cats, dogs, bunnies and other pets. Potential adopters can visit shelter websites to see which pets are available.
Participating shelters and important details are below:
- Santa Barbara County Animal Service offers fee-waived adoptions from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a break for lunch from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. No appointment is needed.
- Animal Shelter Assistance Program is offering fee-waived adoptions from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The shelter says appointments are preferred.
- Bunnies Urgency Needing Shelter is offering fee-waived adoptions for rabbits and guinea pigs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a break for lunch from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. No appointment is needed.
- The Santa Barbara Humane Santa Maria Campus is offering fee-waived adoptions from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Santa Ynez Valley Humane Society & Dawg is offering adoptions at regular price from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Appointments are preferred.