It may be time to install new carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
In July 2011, California Senate Bill 183 went into effect. Known as the “Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act,” the law requires California residents to install alarms in their homes.
Because the sensors in CO alarms have a limited lifespan, alarms purchased across the state of California in 2011 may start sounding an end-of-life warning beep at some point this year, a press release stated.
CO is a colorless, odorless and tasteless poisonous gas that can be fatal when inhaled. Mild exposure can cause a slight headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and flu-like symptoms. Extreme exposure can cause convulsions, unconsciousness, brain damage, heart and lung failure followed by death.
If your CO alarm goes off get to fresh air and call 911. If you are unable to leave your home, open the doors and windows, and turn off all possible sources of CO while you are waiting for assistance to arrive. Under no circumstance should an alarm be ignored.
For more information about Carbon Monoxide visit BeatTheBeep.com.