NewsLocal News


Cal Poly student diagnosed with norovirus

Posted at 8:26 AM, Jan 15, 2019

A Cal Poly student has been diagnosed with norovirus.

University officials sent out the notification on Friday alerting the campus community.

Cal Poly says a handful of students are reporting symptoms similar to norovirus, but at this time, there has only been one confirmed case.

Custodial staff has been working to clean the campus, including classrooms and residential areas, the student had visited while exposed.

Norovirus can cause nausea, stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea and is highly contagious. Symptoms usually develop within 12 to 48 hours of exposure, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Cal Poly is asking the campus community to follow these health and safety guidelines:

  • Wash your hands thoroughly before eating or preparing any food, after using the restroom, and after sneezing or coughing. Use water and soap to clean your hands for at least 20 seconds. Please be advised that hand sanitizer is not effective against norovirus. The virus can be transmitted by touching door knobs, handles and surfaces.
  • Cover up when sneezing or coughing. Cough or sneeze into your elbow and wash your hands with soap and water.
  • Always wash fruits and vegetables before preparing or eating them.
  • Utilize the Health Center. If you are sick and in need of medical attention, visit the Health Center in Building 27. For hours and additional information, visit <>
  • Stay hydrated. If you are sick, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids. If you need any help getting food or fluids and you live in the residence halls, please contact your Resident Advisor (RA).
  • Be courteous to others. If you are sick, avoid preparing foods for others or sharing meals. And again, always cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing – and follow up immediately with a thorough hand washing with soap.