A 22-year-old Ventura resident who recently suffered an overdose is alive, thanks to Narcan.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s deputies, county fire, and AMR medics responded to a possible overdose at a sober living home in Goleta on Thursday.
Officials say a sheriff’s deputy gave a single dose of department-issued Naloxone nasal spray to the resident experiencing the overdose. The person was then transported to a local hospital for further treatment.
NARCAN®, which is short for Naxolone Hydepchloride, blocks the life-threatening effects of opioid overdose including extreme drowsiness, slowed breathing or loss of consciousness.
All Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s deputies have received training on the use of Naloxone and the sheriff’s department has used naloxone 16 times since April 2017.