NewsLocal News

Actions

Two people hospitalized due to hazardous conditions in their Lompoc home

Posted at 12:07 PM, May 02, 2019

Two people were hospitalized Thursday morning after being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide in their Lompoc home.

Lompoc City Fire crews responded to a medical emergency at around 6 a.m. Thursday at a home on the 1200 block of East Cypress.

During further evaluation at the home, investigators found that the house was filled with high levels of carbon monoxide. The residents were then evacuated and transported to the Lompoc ER for further evaluation.

Fire crews later found that the utilities had been compromised and generators were being used inside of the home. Firefighters say the home was subsequently tagged as “Unsafe to Occupy, Due to a Hazardous Condition”. Crews secured the utilities to the property to mitigate further hazards to the home and neighborhood.

Fire officials want to remind the community about the value of working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in homes. All homes are encouraged to have a smoke detector in all living areas of the home, as well as a carbon monoxide detector on every level of the home.