NewsLocal News

Actions

Santa Barbara County Fire Dept. urges home owners to change carbon monoxide detectors

Posted at 12:00 PM, Jul 08, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-08 14:32:10-04

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department is reminding Central Coast residents to install new carbon monoxide alarms in their homes, after getting an uptick in calls about detectors going off.

The fire department said it is important that CO detectors are changed frequently because the alarm can help detect a colorless, odorless and tasteless poisonous gas that can be deadly when inhaled.

In July 2011, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act went into effect, which required California residents to install these alarms into their homes.

The fire department said if someone installed a CO detector around this time, the life-span of the detector could be ending soon if it hasn’t already.

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department said if a detector does go off, it is important to get to fresh air immediately and call 911.