NewsLocal News


County-wide pursuit in reported stolen car ends with crash, arrest in SLO

The pursuit began when officers spotted a stolen vehicle in Paso Robles
Posted at 4:47 PM, Feb 22, 2022

UPDATE - Wed., Feb. 23: The San Luis Obispo Police Department has identified the man who led authorities on a county-wide police chase in a stolen car.

Uriel Jimenez was arrested following a brief foot pursuit on Fiero Lane in San Luis Obispo Tuesday afternoon.

The Nipomo man is accused of fleeing officers who spotted the stolen car he was driving in the Paso Robles Walmart parking lot.

Paso Robles police officers pursued Jimenez southbound on Highway 101 until the California Highway Patrol took over in Atascadero. From there, the chase went westbound on Highway 41 into Morro Bay then southbound on Highway 1 into San Luis Obispo.

San Luis Obispo Police took over the chase as soon as it reached city limits and a CHP helicopter continued to follow the pursuit.

The county-wide chase ended on Fiero Lane when Jimenez tried to turn around on a dead-end street, colliding with a patrol car.

Jimenez was booked into the San Luis Obispo County Jail for vehicle theft and evading police with reckless driving, among other charges.

Original report: A man driving a stolen car led authorities on a chase through much of San Luis Obispo County Tuesday afternoon.

The pursuit started in Paso Robles when officers spotted a stolen vehicle in the Walmart parking lot. The Paso Robles Police Department confirms that officers chased the driver south on Highway 101 until the California Highway Patrol took over.

The driver led officers down Highway 41 where police say the chase reached Morro Bay. The male suspect then headed south on Highway 1 into San Luis Obispo where the pursuit ended in a crash and his arrest.

At 4:14 p.m., the San Luis Obispo Police Department tweeted that one of its officers was involved in a crash involving a reported stolen car on Fiero Lane.

The patrol car was removed from the scene a short time later.


The man was taken into custody and no other details were confirmed about his identity. KSBY will continue to follow this developing situation and we will update this article as more information becomes available.