NewsLocal News


North Beach Campground in Pismo Beach underwater, closed through February

pismo campgrounds.PNG
Posted at 4:21 PM, Feb 02, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-02 23:19:46-05

The North Beach Campground in Pismo Beach is closed following our recent storm.

The gates are locked and all reservations for the month of February are canceled, according to State Parks.

The campground is now serving as a pond for ducks and other birds.

"This is receding," said Linda Marek of Arroyo Grande."A lot of times, it'll even hang around long enough where the ducks will nest and have babies. I've seen that too."

Dozens of campsites are submerged underwater but it's not as bad as it was in the thick of the storm.

"About two or three days ago you wouldn't be standing here at all," said local, Steve Scrottish.

"It was completely flooded," Marek added.

If you're hoping to camp here soon, that won't be happening at least for the next few weeks.

"We've turned off water, electrical, we've closed up sewer, but no we just let mother nature take it's course and kind of wait for conditions to
bring back," said Kevin Pearce, Oceano Dunes District Chief Ranger.

Elsewhere, at Hearst San Simeon State Park Campground, there was campsite flooding and downed trees. Though it was hit the hardest on the North Coast, it's since been cleaned up and most of the campsites are up and running.

Roadway flooding from last week near Morro Bay State Park has also subsided. Portions of the Morro Strand Campgrounds have also reopened but cleanup work continues.

"We still do have a few closed because they're soggy," said Eric Hjelstrom, San Luis Obispo Coast District Chief Ranger.

In the meantime, some people are enjoying the scenery at the North Beach campground with several ponds now surrounding the dry walking trails.

"The greenery that comes with it, the after stuff, is the enjoyable part and the water that we need," Scrottish said.

"I love it after a rain like this. We so need it. We're hoping for more before the end of the season," Marek said.

The soonest the campgrounds will reopen is probably early March but that depends if we get more rain.

State Park says there are no plans to make improvements to the campgrounds to prevent future flooding. Work however, is expected to get underway in a couple of years at the front kiosk to prevent flooding there.