The San Luis Obispo Police Department will have extra officers out patrolling ahead of Labor Day weekend.
Patrols begin Friday, Sept. 4, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Officers will be looking for violations made by drivers and motorcyclists that increase the risk of crashes.
Some tips for drivers and motorcyclists, provided by SLOPD, include:
- Always check twice for motorcycles in your mirrors and blind spots.
- Use your signal when changing lanes.
- Never follow a motorcycle too closely. Always keep a safe distance.
- When at an intersection, allow enough space before turning.
- Always wear a DOT compliant helmet and protective gear like gloves and leather clothing.
- Consider adding reflective tape to your clothing to make it easier for other drivers to see you.
- Keep your lights on at all times, even during the day.
- Don’t assume drivers see you: signal well in advance before changing lanes and watch for turning vehicles.