Last season marked a beginning of two things for the Mission Prep football team – becoming an eight-man program, as well as, the addition of a new head coach. There was certainly hesitation, but the Royals finished 2017 with a strong 6-2 record.
Changes continue for Mission Prep this season as they transition into the Central Section and a new league – Central Sierra League.
The Royals will also split up its games, playing the first three as 11-man and the rest as eight-man.
Second year head coach, David Schuster, says despite the logistical schedule changes, there’s twice as many players as last year, and with only the seniors graduated, this season’s squad returns a lot of experience.
"There’s a lot of transition for us," Schuster said. "It’s very exciting and very positive. The kids are incredibly bought in and I think everyone senses the direction with the program, and that it’s absolutely starting to take off. We had 18 kids last year and we’ve got almost 40 this year, and we’re really putting ourselves in a great spot."
"Coach came in last year, as you know, with not many players, and I have on field experience," said senior running back Brayden Farr. "A lot of guys had a lack of that, so last year really picked things up so we’re all up to speed. It’s really exciting."
Mission Prep’s first game will be an 11-man contest against Morro Bay on August 17.