WeatherFire Watch

Actions

Forward progress of 35-acre fire stopped in New Cuyama area

Flames.png
Posted at 5:18 PM, May 22, 2020

Forward progress has been stopped on a vegetation fire that broke out late Friday afternoon in the area of Highway 166 and Highway 33 in the New Cuyama Valley, fire officials say.

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department responded to the fire shortly after 4 p.m. and said 20 acres and two structures had burned.

Additional resources from Santa Barbara, Kern and Ventura counties were also requested.

By 5:15 p.m., fire officials said the blaze had grown to 35 acres but forward progress had been stopped.

No word on what structures burned or what sparked the fire.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Highway 33 is blocked just south of Highway 166.

This is a developing story and will be updated as information becomes available.